Thursday, October 31, 2013

Road2Hope November 3, 2013


2 Corinthians 9:7-8 New International Version (NIV)
Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.

I've been enjoying my downtime in my hometown of Brantford, since racing the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon, 11 days ago.  Brantford is a great place to live for many reasons;  it is close to so many other great SW Ontario cities. You can do a lot in one week without having to travel too far!

http://crossroads360.com/watch?v=%7BEEE54D50-44E1-4B58-A41B-C308EE86618C%7D&s=1#.UnGAu75za70

This week I was interviewed at Crossroads in Burlington by 100 Huntley Street's, Ron Mainse. I was able to share about life as a marathoner, mom, and believer, "Finishing the Race". You can view it on-line now via my blog or the website, or watch it on the tv show sometime in November (I'll post the date when I know).

Running is waaaay easier than hair and make-up!


In the interview I mention that I will be in Hamilton for the Road2Hope Marathon on Sunday, November 3, 2013. There are a lot of great charity partners at this event and it's great to see Gord & Esther's leadership in helping so many great organizations. I'll have the "Grandma & Gogo" book for sale ($20) to support the Kenyan Kids Foundation. Just ask! I will also be there to support the Ronald McDonald House - Hamilton. Stop by to say hello!

Grandma & Gogo book - $20 written by Tarah Korir to fund the Kenyan Kids Foundation. We'll be cheering for Wesley Korir as he runs the NYC Marathon, also Sunday, November 3. Can't wait to see the Film Transcend http://www.thefilmtranscend.com/
Leah was quite the story-teller at the Start2Finish office, also in the Crossroads building.

Ronald McDonald House Hamilton
RMH is a great support for families with children who are seriously ill and being treated at nearby hospitals.
So glad Britanie was able to come to the recording. Afterward, we did some shopping then headed to her pre-chemo appointment in Hamilton at the Juravinski Hospital.  She'll be tackling round 5/8 tomorrow. While waiting for Britanie, I couldn't help but think of the many hours my parents spent at the Cancer Clinic. Thankfully, research has continued to advance in both diagnosing and treating cancer. Leah was quite the little entertainer again, asking the names of several elderly people in the waiting room, then telling them her name was Mrs. McGillicutty (the nick name she got from Grandpa this summer while we were in Russia/Europe)!


The bald and the beautiful. I am in awe when people post such beautiful, courageous pictures. What does Britanie, aka G.I. Jane, do between chemo treatments? Once she boosted my van. This time she cared for Chloe, her special needs daughter, after surgery. Britanie is grateful for the Ronald McDonald House. When I asked her if I could share this, she replied, "Oh yes for sure! We would be honored! We lived at RMH for 6 months + another 2 months at a different time...great cause and great house!!".

This morning was my first trip back to Brantford's Wayne Gretzky Sports Centre. Two yr old Leah had been asking every day to return since my marathon, because she loves Marueen and Jeanetta, and the routine so much. The rain would make for miserable walking conditions so we went. I dabbled with a bit of swimming, pool running, a new elliptical-type machine, the treadmill, and some weights. Was great to be back with no structure and a leisurely pace. And look what I found on the bulletin board!

Another way I've been supported at the WGSC... this sweat band was given to me by another member for inspiration after a relative of his was in London for the 2012 Olympic Games. I've kept it on my bag since and will continue to do so in my own path to the Olympic Games,  #Rio2016 !

 Have a great marathon in Hamilton and New York City this weekend, friends! I'll be cheering!